Monday, January 24, 2011

Writing Workshop in the Classroom

I always thought that a teacher was the sole factor that affected the tone of the classroom.  I have gone to numerous classrooms in the same grade but they have all been different.  After reading chapter four I see that there are many other things that affect the tone of a classroom.  For a writing workshop for example allowing students opportunities to read books and discuss books, having different kinds of texts such as newspapers and magazines around, and encouraging students to write are great ways to encourage students to be writers.  I went to private school from kindergarten to eleventh grade and for the most part my teachers always encouraged us to write.  In my field experience I have seen that it is not so anymore.  I think that teachers are so pressured to have their students pass standardized tests that they simply teach to the text.  The standardized tests give students multiple choice questions about texts and force students to pick the best answer.  I was taught to read between the line and make my own conclusions based on what I read.


I also think that teachers count students writing math story problems and filling out worksheets are ways to help students practice their writing.  This type of writing is known as writing to support your life, such as notes and reflections.  Writing to communicate is the other form of writing such as short stories and poems.  I think writing workshop is great because it gives students the opportunity to use their imagination and to read each other's work and give their opinions to make it better.  It helps students learn about the writing process.  In chapter five Katie talks about the whole routine of school, such as lunch.  Lunch is at the same time every day and students do the same rituals every day.  How would I get my students used to writing workshop if I did not have time to do it every day or at the same time?

1 comment:

  1. I agree that tests have become very important - important to the point where they sometimes drive instruction. But, as you point out, there are many kinds of writing that aren't tested, but that may be worth teaching. You are on a good path here.

    I think it is perfectly possible to have the workshop shift to different points in the day or do it 3-4 times a week if that is all you can fit in. As long as you are consistent with what happens during that block of time, students will know what to expect. keeping it at the same time is ideal, but not always possible.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete