Monday, January 31, 2011

Chapters 9, 10 and 13

I thought these chapters were very helpful in helping me understand how to implement writing workshop.  I liked how she gave examples about ways to conduct focus lessons and that even though the students are working independently during this time you are still teaching.  It is not time for you to sit back and play games on the computer like some teachers probably do.  Katie talked about the five aspects of writing workshop: environent, demonstration, direct instruction, inquiry and the potential of the world.  I loved how Katie talked about homework for writing workshop and how children and even adults can get so many ideas from the world around them.  When I conduct writing workshop I would have students keep a journal with them so when they come ac cross something that inspires them to write they can write it down for when they come to class.

The first grade classroom I am in now does writing workshop everyday.  The teacher thinks writing is a very valuable skill for students to have and pushes them to become better writers.  She allows them to think about whatever they want to write about.  She even reads different books from a certain author and allows students to write about the differences between the books the author wrote.  She also has students read their stories out loud to the class as they sit in a circle and she asks them questions on how they think they can better their writing.

I think that Katie talked about a lot of good strategies to give to the students in the class and how not every student will use that strategy that day in class but will keep them with them for a later date.  What I worry about is not being able to think of many helpful strategies for my students.  I like to write and do have some experience as a writer but have not studied various authors and really thought of my writing process.  How would I teach students strategies when I can't really think of some myself?

1 comment:

  1. I like your description of your classroom. Sounds like you are seeing some positive things.

    For me, there is no harm in a teacher ever saying "I need to think more about this. Come back to me tomorrow and I'll have better answers for you." There is something wonderful about a teacher admitting that they don't know something, but will figure it out and learn along with the student. I hope that by the end of the semester, you'll have enough ideas to get you started. Many times, with conferences, just listening to the student talk will open the path for them, too.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete