Monday, April 18, 2011

Final blog of the Semester

I have had an interesting semester in first grade.  I have had kids get sick in class, throw tant`rums, refuse to do their homework and try to take advantage of the "new teacher."  But on my last day of class I was given a homemade book containing letters and pictures from every student in the classroom, and a cake and very thoughtful present from my mentor teacher.  I had students clinging on to me and arguing about who got to sit next to me at lunch, and who got to read to me.  I had students ask me if I could be their teacher next year, and why I had to leave.  And lastly, I had students that had tears in their eyes on my last day with them.  Yes, being a teacher is not easy; there will be times when students aren't the easiest to handle, GPS standards and paperwork that is constantly being shoved at you, and parents who will be on you because of one bad grade, and those that could not care less.  You'll have 9-10 hour days, sometimes more, and have to get up at 5 every morning.  But the looks on your students faces when they know you will not be their teacher anymore, and the love they have for you is priceless.  That is what makes all this worth while, and what I have learned most from my experience is that all the obstacles that are thrown to you are so worth it just to know that you have made even a little bit of a positive impact on a child's life.

Thank you to my first graders I will miss you!

        Love,
            Miss Ally

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely remembrance. It is easy to get caught up in the day to day pressures, but these little moments, beginnings and endings, can help remind us what a true honor it is to share time and life with these children.

    And I've enjoyed all you've shared here!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete